Sunday, September 03, 2006

Lies, lies, they're all lies!

So, I must start off by correcting a huge error in what I wrote about milk in our home. We receive not nine gallons, but 17 gallons! How did we run out of milk? I have no idea!
I was supposed to take rice to the wedding fiesta on Saturday... E made it.
The Sunday School teacher asked if E would teach his class on Sunday, I said, "Of course!" ... I taught it.

Sheer craziness.

The wedding fiesta was nice. One week ago a new convert in our branch was driving to the chapel to get married. He got in an accident three blocks away from the church. We drove up on the accident and decided to stop, then I saw the bride come running up to her fiance's smashed car. She was in her wedding dress and her veil was flying out behind her. It broke everyones heart. Strangers kept coming up to her to tell her everything would be alright and wish her well. I stayed for a while and helped translate for the police and the ambulance paramedics. The bride climed in the front of the ambulance and the groom was strapped to the gurney and put in the back. It was heart wrenching to watch.

It turned out that he wasn't broken, just bruised. They ended up getting married that night at 9:30 PM instead of 5 PM. Some members of our branch were in the church and saw that the couple had no family, no party, no food etc. So they organized a fiesta for the following Saturday. The sisters decorated, we all brought food, there was music and dancing (and cake... my favorite!). It was really nice.

Tears came to my eyes when I compared it to my fiesta. My parents were there and I got to dance with Dad. There was tons of food. The music was great and Alma sang his heart out. The decorations were more than I could have asked for. It was so perfect, thanks to so many. I am really grateful for my perfect fiesta. Other than the fake candles my mother-in-law brought to put right at the entrance. She just wanted to feel a part of things.

Yesterday we also went to MZ new restaurant. She is a sister in our branch from Africa... she speaks Portugese. It was bizarre... all of the "waitresses" are the YM and YW from our ward. The food was OK but kind of coldish. It felt just like we were at a ward party. Only we had to pay $22. I told her I would help with the menus... but she never got with me. I assumed that she had gone a different avenue. The menus were hand written by the YW! Oh, boy....

Today when asked what he learned in Primary, Brigham answered, "About the tall guy who had a big stick and a kid who had a swing with rocks, and he hit him and knocked his helmet off and he killed him." One never realizes the violence in the scriptures until one sees the excitement of a small boy learning about David and Goliath or Nephi and Laban. Hmmm....

1 comment:

ticee said...

The scriptures are full of violent stories. Like chopping peoples head off...try explaining that to a 4 year old, and why he can't do it to his brother!!!