Friday, August 11, 2006

Potty Motty
I bought S some Feel and Learn Pull Ups (warning!) and they gave her the worst rash! They stay wet so she can feel it and she got a big fat rash. So, I had to hide the Pull Ups, she knew where they were and demanded to wear them. Yesterday, we had a big fight and I had to wrestle her to put her diaper on. She threw her head back and my mothering instincts wanted to protect her head from the corner of the bed post... Now I am the wounded one with bruises on my knuckles.

She tore her diaper off as soon as she could stand up. So, I figured I would try undies. She was thrilled. She wore her underwear with pride and peed in about 10 pairs. She loved wearing Dora, Princesses, polka-dot, etc. Finally, when her dad came home he put a diaper on her and it stayed. That's why I am married.

Yesterday afternoon I heard screams coming from the deck. I ran out and saw our rabbit hopping around madly and screaming. I brought him in and he just laid down and never got up. I cried and cried. We dug a hole in the backyard and burried him. The whole family was present, B and S helped dig. As soon as Hippety was covered S freaked out. "Where's rabbit? Where's rabbit?" It isn't easy explaining death to a two year old. B understood very little as well. He kept asking when Hippety Hoppety was coming back. I explained that all living things have a spirit and a body, that the body was dead and in the ground but the spirit was still alive and with Heavenly Father. B started kind of yelling, "Heavenly Father needs to give Hippetys back to us!" I told him he was very happy there.... but that didn't cut it. Then I tried to use my mom as an example, that she died a long time ago, but she is very happy in the Spirit World. Then I started tearing up a little and I think B didn't believe that sounded very happy. Maybe I should mention endless fields of clover with lots of flowers to eat... Who knows.

I have been walking with a kindred spirit in the mornings. We get up at six and walk till seven. It is really fun for me because I never get to see A often enough. I wake up just so I can talk to her. I am sure we will make friends with all of the early morning walkers, maybe they will accept us into their club. Cool.

In closing.... something no mother wants to hear at the crack of dawn... Mom, I went stinkies in my diaper... that from four year old B who shouldn't be wearing "Good Nights" in the first place!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry about Hippity. What happened to him anyway. You just said he was screaming. Lovely sound isn't it. Sounds like a coyote call. Again, my condolences.

ticee said...

That is pretty sad about Hippity. My kids were kinda the same way when our fish died...ok not really, Cash and Dayson just liked watching them flush down the toilet. But Tyson cried.

Alicia said...

I too am sorry to hear about Hippety.

We had a cat die when I was younger. My sister who was four at the time was also a little confused. So, my dad thought it was a great time to explain the resurrection. The family went through the process of a backyard burial. My little sister later stood by the window, looked out at the backyard and asked, "When will Buttercup be resurrected?" I don't remember how they ever got her away from the window.