Wednesday, January 30, 2008

On Shoveling Snow

Monday found me shoveling about four inches of snow. The tragedy was that I had already gone out and back for the day (see WIC), leaving car tracks in the driveway. It is so hard to shovel once the snow has been driven on or walked on. I really doubles the work. The blessing was that my neighbor bought a new snowblower and he cleaned our front sidewalk. Let's not forget that we live on a corner and I must shovel the other side as well.

Last night it snowed all night and after the gym I shoveld another six inches or more this morning. My forearms ache. I think I have discovered why I haven't thrown my back out. I throw the snow from the sidewalk up and over the fence. Instead of twisting with my back I have to do more lifting with my arms. The driveway snow must be thrown over the mountains of snow in the yard. Up, up, up... That's the secret, don't you think?

I don't know how much more of this any of us can take. I do feel for the city. The old water main broke because of the cold and old age. They are spending thousands of dollars on maintaining snow plows... parts, overtime for employees, gas, salt/sand etc. Yucky. It has been quite the year.

No comments: