Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Dreaded WIC!

So... L and S didn't gain one pound in six months, therefore a follow up visit within two months was required. The date was set for January 28th (Happy Birthday Melissa Richmond... a friend from High School, I wish I knew where she was) and the hour was set for 9:30 a.m. A very early hour for me to have everyone ready. After getting B off to school, getting home from the gym, getting E off to work (like he needs a lot of help)... we jumped into the shower. A girl must be clean if she is to be weighed.



I forced the girls into their cute red sweaters I gave them for Christmas. For some reason they hate the sweaters... but I paid for them, they are cute and they must be worn. After much screaming, sweating (me) and many tears they were all dressed, socked and shoe-ed. Then the coats, and they must be zipped... and out to the van. Must buckle every girl in, climb into the back, don't forget Sarah. So many tinies! I was exhausted but we were going to get there on time!

Imagine my horror when I push the button on the door and it doesn't close. I have been here before. Sometimes E leaves the keys in the ignition and leaves the van on! Glancing up to see if the worst could be true, I see the keys in the ignition. The battery is dead, dead, dead.

I tried to call E but he didn't answer his phone. Every ring just got him deeper and deeper into trouble. Then I spotted a random battery just sitting in our garage. I hauled it over to the van, hooked up jumper cables and tried to fire up the van. Nothing but a wierd clicking noise. I tried calling E again but to no avail, so I went into the house to find WIC's number. Once inside I could hear E's phone ringing. Huh.

WIC didn't answer, I was on hold for at least ten minutes. When the lady did answer I was trying the van again and miraculously it started!! I was so excited I explained to the lady I would be right there... but she wanted to look up my file, see what type of appointment it was... blah, blah, blah. Then she said that I would have to reschedule because I probably couldn't get there in five minutes. I assured her I could, I was on my way. "Now you only have three minutes. That just regulations." Grrr... So, I had to reschedle for 1:30 p.m. that afternoon.

I decided to drive somewhere and charge the battery. I went to Target and found a $12 dress that is beautiful in black and white. I also bought some $1.74 shirts for R, L, and S. When they say 75% off they mean it.

At the WIC office later S had to go potty and B had to go stinkies. Annoying. Not very punishable. They called while we were in the bathroom and I went out front as quick as possible looking around for the ghost voice. Everyone was too busy to talk to me so we just stood there for about five minutes. Then I just went back and looked in every office asking them if they had called my name. Then all the cats fought over the magnet toy, just like they always do. Yelling, crying, pushing, hitting... all while the nutritionist is trying to talk to me. Fun.

Yet, I am thankful for the help. Thank you US government.

Oh, and I must add that both L and S had gained two pounds each. What? As a scientist, I feel that something is going wrong with the data collection.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

You are looking goooooooood!