Friday, February 08, 2008

To Pierce or Not to Pierce

I feel that I must explain our decision to open holes in our 3 year old's ears. I spent plenty of time thinking about it. E thought we would just do it when they were born. I was adamantly against it, but I didn't know why. I, myself, had to wait until I was 12 to get my ears pierced, but then I was nervous about it. We didn't have anywhere to get them pierced, really. No mall, we didn't have a beautician... It just never happened. Then Mom died and that was that. At fourteen I finally got them pierced in a mall in Provo with Donna at my side.

Why did we have to wait till we were twelve? No idea. So, when S kept saying she wanted earings, I kept telling her to wait until she was older. "Like a big mama?" Exactly, like a big mama. Then she would see girls of all ages with earings and ask me why she couldn't. I really didn't have a reason. I decided that we would get her ears pierced while I was still alive. So, we did.

I wanted to prepare her to make sure she wanted this. I pinched her ear and said it would hurt a little... "do you still want this?" She did. While she sat in the enormous chair, waiting for the piercing, she was so quiet. Two girls did the piercing so both ears could be done at the same time. I was ready for one of the big crying/screaming fits. Worried... 3, 2, 1... pierced. Silence. S just looked around, no crying, no "Ouch!" She was a little surprised, but so brave. She is still very pleased with her lovely earings.

And I am still alive.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, at least I understand now. For myself. My ears hurt so bad when I wear earrings that my girls don't even want them. I can't imagine doing that to my little girls. But then it hurts to comb hair at our house. Oh, if we could all be as tough as the Castellons.

Julie Ethington said...

Julie,

Thank you for you comment on my blog. It's awesome to make these connections! I had an INCREDIBLE companion from Guatemala (we were together for 7 months!). Her name is Hilda Elizabeth Boj Quelex. She lives in the Guatemala North Mission. Anyway, thank you for sharing your talent in el Regalo de Navidad... What an incredible performance it was!

Well, Thanks again for stopping by, and I'll keep checking for the dates of that next performance... anything to get me close to the latin people!

Thanks,
Julie Ethington