Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Shopping with Little Monsters

Yesterday after B's school we went to the Dollar store to look for B-day party supplies. I parked by a cart with thoughts of trapping kids inside the cart for less touching within the store. As I was unloading the van, a man came up on his bike and asked for money. He had come down for a job interview on the bus and he forgot to bring return busfare. All he needed was $0.75... As he was blah, blah, blah, I was putting L into the little seat in the front of the cart. Then the search began for money. The wallet was empty of bills, and I could only find some dimes, nickels and pennies.

Then, crash, boom, screaming and crying. I look over to see the flimsy shopping cart with L still iln the seat laying on its side with R under it. Poor little R was just laying on her back, unable to move with the weight of the cart on her. Apparently R and S had both climbed onto the same side and caused the crash. S escaped injury but R has a big bruise on her cheek and L has a huge bump/scrape on her forehead. The worst was the money guy just rode off on his bike without saying anything. I was so frustrated with him I yelled out after him, "Don't you want your money?"

When I told E the story he said, "He was white wasn't he?" (And he was.) "I don't understand how someone who was born here, they have papers, a social security number... There are many job openings out there, how can they not have any sort of job. Yet, they are very comfortable asking for money." I must admit that I see his point. I have been hit up for money at least ten times in parking lots in the last few months.

That was just the beginning of the horror. The kids were tired, whiny, begging, fighting, peeing, touching, grabbing, almost breaking and very embarrassing as we went from the Dollar Store to Zurchers to Target. I am that mother wtih all of the rotten kids in public. I know it isn't all their fault for being tired and dragged around... but....what's a girl to do?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hurray, I always thought "that" mother was me. It is nice of you to take a turn. I am so glad I the girls are going to be ok. I am sorry they got hurt though.