Tuesday, August 12, 2008

B and Death


B has been freaking me out a little lately. He had a couple of weeks there where he was consumed with the thoughts of death. First he was getting sick. A head cold that included pain and pressure in the sinuses. One morning he called me over to the couch and said, "Mom, I need to talk to you." As I walked toward him tears started flowing and he sobbed out, "I don't want to die!" I hugged him and tried to comfort him. Then he said, "I want to say a prayer so that I won't be scared to die." That just broke my heart. He was so scared! We prayed and he felt a lot better. Later on in the afternoon he told me, "Mom, I wasn't dying, I was just getting sick." Whew!


B has also bombarded me with questions about the body and the spirit, the Spirit World and the Resurrection. One day as we were leaving Walmart he started asking, "Does a spirit know its dead? Can a spirit see itself? Does it hurt to be a spirit? Will I know who I am when I'm a spirit? Will I like the same things?" I tried to get across the point that his spirit is "him" and he would still be the same B, but we left him pondering.


He has also questioned many times who would take care of them if Papa died, if Mama died. So, we have been covering that again. I told him I would take care of them or Papa would. "But, what if you both die?" he asks, crying again.

"DiAnn will take care of you."

"How will DiAnn know that you are dead and she needs to take care of us?"

He has a point there, I thought, as I answered, "We'll give her a call."

It didn't work... "How are you going to call if you are dead?"

"You can call."

"I don't know her phone number!" panicking now.

"It is on the cell phone." I could see that he wasn't convinced so I tried a different route. "The police will call DiAnn." That seemed to calm him down.

Hours later he started again, "Who is going to take care of us if you and Papa both die and DiAnn dies, too?"

"Susan," I answered without missing a beat.

"OK," he was satisfied with that answer.


I don't know... do you think B knows something I don't? We shall see I guess. My children do tend to have prophetic abilities. Months ago Silvina called to tell me she was pregnant and she had just found out they were having twins! After I hung up the phone in my excitement I called out to S who was sitting right in front of the TV watching a program. "Hey, Sarah, Silvina is going to have two babies!"

S answered without taking her eyes off of the television, "Yeah, a boy and a girl." Hmmm. I did tell Silvina what she said, and now Silvina calls her the little prophetess. Because, sure enough, she had a boy and a girl. Go S!


They also have uncanny abilities to forecast when I am going to be angry... sometimes. Other times they still seem oblivious and are surprised when they get in trouble. So, maybe we are all safe for a while.

3 comments:

steve said...

wow, that is a bit spooky...hopefully it was just curiosity, and not a premonition! cuz i personally have had enough of funerals, so nobody else in the family is allowed to die. sorry.

Stout Family said...

Hi Aunt Julie (this is Kristi, Susan's Neice and I claim being your's too) your kids are so freakin cute. I love your adorable family! Hope all is well.

Em said...

WOW!!! I am really scared to be a parent now. I really don't think that I would know what to say!!! At least your kids are smart little things that actually think about stuff.