Monday, August 20, 2007

Well... the baptism was great. I wish we could spend more time together as a family. There is never enough space or time. What we really need is a millionaire father who would build a giant home that we could all fit in with all of our families. That way we could all have plenty of time to talk and let the kids play together. Dream on, dream on.... It would be nice though.

We got to run down and see Susan and Ticee before Jodi left. I was only mean to Jodi once, and yes I still feel guilty. I can't wait till I am a gentler, kinder person. Some of the highlights were doing water aerobics with Susan in the Orderville pool. A bunch of old ladies and a couple of young ones. Susan up in front showing us the moves and yelling, "Work it ladies, work it." Even just imagining it could bring one much joy.

I also loved watching Ticee trying to pretend like she wasn't having contractions. I was determined to try and clean her house a little and she refused to let us work alone. So she valiantly worked along side, about killing herself, pretending the pain and exhaustion away... just like a true Slade girl. I loved washing the tiny baby clothes and taking care of them. The worst was that we had to leave a day before he was born. : ( But little Deidrick got here safely and seems to be just as adorable as his brethren.

Jodi got home safely and was so glad to be reunited with all of her boys. I just remembered that her phone was stolen.... I wonder if that issue was ever resolved. Susan's purse was stolen as well at Walmart in St. George. Things usually happen in three's, so the next person who gets something stolen... let me know.

I was also able to meet up with two of my friends from the mission, Darla and Christina. We all went to see our mission president, Presidente Lyman. We took our kids and it was sheer craziness, just like everyday of my life. I was so thrilled to be able to see Darla, Christina, Presidente and his wife. They include the very most favorite people from my mission!! May we never forget Guatemala and all of the blessings we have in our lives from "giving" the Lord a small year and a half. I wrote "giving" because I ended up receiving so much more than I gave!!

We were so sad about the death of James E. Faust. I will never forget his conference address a couple of years ago when he cried because he felt that once when he was younger he hadn't treated his grandmother the way he should have. It just shows his tenderness and kindness. What a great man. Also, many of my friends are sad because there is one less Democrat in Utah. Alicia and Nathan moved away... as did Ana and Justin. I am afraid that soon there won't be any Democrats left. Hmmmm....

I also had our first book club meeting in our new ward. We read Ride the Laughing Wind by Brenton and Blaine Yorgason. (Blaine, what kind of a name is Blaine? It sounds like an appliance. .... name that movie) What has happened to the Yorgasons? Have they written anything lately? I did love the book, and yes I am a little ashamed that I hadn't read it already. Any one who has ever been to an Anazazi ruin should definitely read this book. Loved it....

Our book club dinner was an interesting time. I did find out that one lady pays her husband $40 an hour to do his geneology. She is willing to pay him up to $500 a month. He is so stuborn, though, and will not do his geneology... and she can't figure out why. My comment was, "I am guessing that you don't share money." They have been married for 45 years, for those of you out there who were wondering. The next book is The Sunflower by Richard Paul Evans. Can't wait to see what I will learn next month.

After all of that catching up... now to the real news... It is almost time to pick up my little guy from his very first day of Kindergarten. He was so handsome in his kacki pants and white polo shirt (that they had him tuck in right when he came into the room). E drove separately so he could go to the gym afterwards. He surprised us by having the video camera ready when we drove up to the school. He was able to film B climbing out of the van with his oversized Spiderman/Venom back pack on. I got teary eyed as he marched into the classroom with just a little wave. S and R started crying and refused to walk out of the front doors without B. "Don't leave him!" S also kept trying to convince me that she is five (three). She thought she could trick me into letting her go to B's school.

Now I must go see how his first day went. I am off....

2 comments:

steve said...

ok, wait, what?!?!?! you have never read Ride the Laughing Wind? how in the world did this happen? i LOVE that book! you have heard dad's story about it, haven't you? that story is the reason i love the book so much! it is weird taking your child to school for the first time, isn't it? such a range of emotions pass by, and of course, there can be no crying when you are a dad taking your boy to school, cuz that just ain't manly...but hey, since when has that stopped me? i remember being slightly disappointed,too, when Ty got home and there was no homework. just seemed wrong to me...haha. well, i'm sure he will get more homework as time goes on. anyway, sounds like all in all, it was a good day for all involved! Ty starts at a new school tomorrow, so that should be interesting, i think. i will have to let y'all know how it goes!

Jodi said...

How exciting to have the 1st day of school. And I'm glad he loves it. I must say that it's always fun to read your blog because you have a positive way of looking at things, even naked women in grouchy gyms. Sam and I got a new phone plan and the outdated phones are just dead now. Oh, well. This new one should be cheaper. I love you!