Monday, August 20, 2007

My sweet B had a great day at school. He said, "I love school!" at least five times on the way home. He mentioned that he didn't have any scissors when Mr. Garcia said, "If you are a boy and you have scissors, put them in this box." Who knows? I am guessing that it has to do with the list of supplies they asked us to donate. We took ours in last week. I am afraid that everything about school from here on out will be a little mysterious. Never knowing what he is really talking about. I well remember some of the stories I heard from parents when I was teaching.... about what they tried to piece together.

He said they played a game during recess with ocean animals. "I was an octopus, no a shark, a good shark. And we killed the bad sharks, ate them up." Hmmm.... that could go either way.

He ate school lunch... I must secretly admit that therein lied my biggest worry. How was he going to get to the cafeteria? Know where the trays were? Get catsup if he wanted some? Open his milk? Find the garbage? Carry everything without dropping it? Stay seated while he ate? Yes, I have been stewing about this all week. All seemed to turn out very well. "I didn't know we would have blue berries and uvas (grapes). My favorite!" When asked what else he ate, "Mac and Cheese." We have never really eaten "Mac & Cheese" at home, and we certainly have never said the words "Mac & Cheese." Who taught him that? Yet, another mystery.

I was excited to do homework with him, alas, there was nothing in his backpack. Mystery? And then there is the mystery of the name tags. B said out of the blue this afternoon, "Hey, the ladies didn't give back my card that I gave them to eat lunch." I certainly hope they kept it.

Thus ends my saga of sending my first child to his first day of school. I shed a few tears as he entered the classroom, but I could hold it together as long as I didn't have to speak. When E asked me what had happened when I talked to the secretary about school lunch, I cried quite a bit. It took him awhile to realize that he didn't have to be angry at the secretary. It was just requisite for me to break down a little watching our little guy grow up. I am crying right now as a matter of fact. Quite therapeutic, I would say.

Love to all!

2 comments:

wild murdocks said...

Oh my, everyone is growing up! It's great that he loves it so much! Is it whole day or half day kindergarten?

We had our first day today and it went well.

Hope your all healthy and happy!

kissy

ticee said...

Too funny! It is quite an experience sending your child to someone else for their education. One that I LOVE, but it is a bit wierd.