Saturday, March 29, 2008

Reading

My neighbor Bonnie told me the other day that she thinks I use reading as an escape. I have been pondering that, and I am afraid she is right. I have read at least 12 books during the month of March (see link to "Books I've Read" over on the left). Being so busy with my little monsters I am afraid that is baaad. I shouldn't be spending so much time reading. It is like an addiction... and I do want to escape, a little. It has been a long, hard winter. That is my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Any advice out there? I am trying to use the advice that DiAnn gave me, through Isaac Newton... "An object in motion stays in motion"... also true is "An object at rest stays at rest until acted upon by an outside force." So, if you are sitting on the couch it is going to take an extra amount of force to get you up and going. However, if you are busy... it is easier to stay busy. The laws of Newton help me remember to get busy, sometimes.

4 comments:

steve said...

actually, i don't see a problem with reading. it is better you are reading 12 books than you are watching 10 hours of tv every day, i think. at least you are doing something semi-productive, no? so you are already better than me :P haha

Julie Castellon said...

Oh I get my ten hours of TV in too! And one week Ana was here and I went to Orderville...so no reading that week... but plenty of TV.

Julie Castellon said...

OK... not ten hours of TV a day... but at least 10 a week.

Unknown said...

I think reading is great. I am loving the Mormon Scientist that you left down here for me. I read about one or two books a week and I have to limit myself because I do get sucked in and just have to finish. I love reading good books. The apostles often quote secular authors. The last one I remember quoted James Mitchner. It was a great quote about a nation is what it reads or something like that. I think we need to read more not less. You keep it up.