Saturday, March 29, 2008

Humillacion

In Spanish the word humillar means both to humble and to humiliate. I have had some pretty humiliating experiences lately and I have been hoping that they at least serve to make me a more humble person. I will share mine, then you must share yours... so be thinking.


The other day we were invited to a birthday party by a family with three boys. We bought a gift for the oldest boy, Lester, and went to their house for the big she-bang. I was asked to give the prayer and I blessed the food but also had to throw in what a great boy Lester was and please bless him as he grows... blah, blah, blah. As soon as I said "Amen," Lester pipes up and tells me it is not his birthday, it's Ryan's birthday. That would explain Ryan's name on the other gift I saw... and the cake. Synapses firing a little slow there?

E got home from the NASCAR races all fired up and more a Jeff Gordon fan than ever before. He purchased a #24 flag that hooks to the window and proudly hung it off of the window on his Durango. The only problem is that I drive the Durango to the gym. I didn't really notice the flag until I was on my way and it was pretty embarrassing, but it was still a little dark so I didn't think about it too much. On the way home was a different story. I could see the shadow of the flag flapping in wind, mocking me. I am sure that everyone around me noticed the NASCAR flag flying proudly, and I was ashamed.

Here is an experience that Ana had in her ward in California. She was in the hall at church on a weekday (she is the YW president don't you know) and saw the sister missionaries. She noticed that one of the sisters was new to the area and she was on crutches. Ana, the kind soul that she is said, "Oh, what happened?" Then she looked down, down, down and noticed that there was only one leg sticking out of the dress. Horrified she hears the sister missionary start into the story of how she had lost her leg because of cancer.... .... Funny? I got a kick out of it.

4 comments:

steve said...

ok, yeah, i would have gotten a kick out of that story, too! well, at least she didn't ask "oh, did you sprain your ankle?" or something like that...haha

Ana said...

But I did Steve!! I asked her if she had broken it or something!! Then she told me that they amputated it at age 7 and that's when I looked down! Oh the horror!!

Julie Castellon said...

That makes it even better.

steve said...

have to agree with julie here...that just makes it WAY more funny!! glad it wasn't me :P