Sunday, November 09, 2008

Deep Discussions

Riding in the van as we pass the temple....
S: There is the temple I'm getting married.
B: You said you're going to marry the temple!
S: No I didn't, I'm getting married that temple.
B: You're going to marry the temple, you're going to marry a temple, you're going to ...
Mom: Stop. She wants to get married in that temple. Where do you want to get married?
B: I want to get married in Alaska. Is it cold there? We can wear fur coats to the temple.
R: I want to marry here.
L: Mom, I'n staying with you. I too scary.
B: My favorite part is the fur coats. Oh, man, but then I will have to be a hunter. Hunter is a hunter. He's in my class. First you kill the animal, then pull the fur off of it, you can eat the animal and make a fur coat with it. But I don't want to live in an igloo that I have to build by myself.
R: Where Papa marry?
Mom: In Manti.
L: How 'bout you?
Mom: I married Papa in Manti.
S: When you were a princess?
Mom: Yep.

Discussion at the dinner table...
B: I saw Papa watching a killing show. There were these pirates and they had guns.
S: People don't have guns.
B: Yes they do! What about Susan's family?
S: What? Susan has guns?!
B: Yea. I saw Zachary with a long shot. We were outside, though, and he was showing me his skills. Then Susan came out and took the gun away.
S: Well, Janett doesn't have guns.
B: Yes she does, Mom does Janett have guns?
Mom: Yep.
S: Janett has guns too?!
L: Mom, we don't have guns.
Mom: That's right. We don't.

Last Tuesday night after the polls closed...
B: I got to vote today at school.
Mom: Oh, who did you vote for?
B: Obama. Who did you vote for?
Mom: McCain.
B: Well, Obama was born in Hawaii.
Mom: Who do you guys want to vote for?
S: Who did you vote for?
Mom: McCain.
S: I want Obama.
L: I am with you Mom.
Mom: R, who do you want to vote for?
R: McCain.
Mom: Why?
R: McCain.
B: Well, I like Obama 'cause he was born in Hawaii.

Needless to say, the next morning B was very excited that Obama had won.

4 comments:

steve said...

oh my goodness your kids are hilarious! so are you like anti-gun or something? how could you not have a single gun in your home? ok, wait, now that i think about it, i remember going shooting when we were wee ones and a certain someone ending up in tears on occasion...lol. well, is S gonna think less of my once she discovers that i have guns, too? anyway, TOO funny! me likey! love ya!!

Ana said...

Yay Brigham! What a smart kid! Plus a fur coat marriage sounds fabulous! Leah is the daughter that will stay home to take care of you like all good familias hispanas. :) This dialogue was so cute, please write more! My dialogues with Sofia amount to "Ah goo!" and she says "Goo!" And I say "Ah goo" and she says nothing. And that continues for a very long time. So what ends up happening is that I start saying "Ah goo" to adults too, most especially my husband! :)

Unknown said...

Hurray for guns!! My boys were all very happy that your kids know we have guns. Come on down and we can shoot cans and targets. There is nothing more fun. I am sorry to say that Zachary does have shooting skills but he lacks shooting sense, so his mom has to take the guns away for now. My, I have a dangerous house.

Jim and Christina said...

very cute conversations. My kids remembered Obama's name. They were like --"are you voting for Obama? or that other guy?"