Saturday, September 22, 2007

Familia

We've had a couple of busy days. Yesterday was Michelle's wedding so I took all the cats and went down to the temple. It was so fun. Dad and Donna came up with Becki and Cardon. Uncle DeLeon was there, as were Dorothy and Paul. It was so fun seeing Dad with Terry, DeLeon and Dorothy. I couldn't help but remember Lisa's wedding three years ago, pre-stroke. Dad was joking and laughing with his siblings. This time there was still joking and laughing but also a polite addition of trying to include Dad and ask him questions etc. Dorothy took a couple of pictures of Dad while he was just standing alone. She loves her brothers so much!

Afterwards everyone went to eat at a Golden Corral and I just honed right in. (Is that even a word?) I got to have Dad drive down with me. He talked to me about dinosaurs with feathers and their articulation. I talked to him about getting engaged in the temple we'd just left. The best 30 minutes of the day. At the restaurant Becki was such a huge help with my little monsters. S adores her and sticks to her like glue. (Speaking of glue... our neighbor gave us a play kitchen... yes, we are thrilled... the other day S broke out a glue stick and was trying to glue the plastic sink back into place. She rubbed glue everywhere!) Aunt Debbie made me happy... twice! First she said she really missed us girls (that goes out to all of the good Slade girls), and she tickled R and said to Donna, "I don't know how you can stand to stay away from these kids. I would be up here all of the time." That's right. Cute kids.

Today the city had a "party" for their employees and families. We came home loaded with goodies. They gave us all bags, water bottles, balls, stuffed animals, pedometers, stress relievers and much, much more. The kids loved it! We signed up for a contest to get moving, as in exercise. We also need to add veggies and water to our diet. Piece of cake... we keep track for a couple of months and may win a trip to Disneyland! Watch out!

After the wellness extravaganza we went to a surprise birthday party for Melvin. If you knew Leah and Melvin (a couple who previously were part of the Spanish Branch), you would know how weird it was to surprise Melvin. The Palmers and the Fonsecas were invited along with Leah's family and it was in Melvin's family's house. For such on odd group of people, it was surprisingly pleasant. Jason Palmer finally started speaking to me. He never liked me while we were in the branch but now he opened right up. His great-grandfather happens to be Thomas Chamberlain who helped settle Orderville. Go figure.

There was also 38 year old Andy who has Down's Syndrome. Wow, that is a long time to take care of your son. His dad was so great with our kids. He sat down and explained that Andy had Down's and sometimes acted a little silly or did funny things. I think it really was perfect for B and S so they wouldn't be afraid of him, instead they played well with him.

Leah (not mine) started snapping picture like crazy and I found it very funny. She is such an interesting study. At first I thought she might be a kindred spirit ... but I haven't ever been able to really break through. She adores Melvin, which I also find very funny. He is so stand-offish and, well, rude. But she thinks she caught the greatest prize out of the pond. It is nice to see how much she loves her husband. I hope people know that I caught the priziest prize and I love my husbando.

And, as a last note... I am almost better, getting over the cold. All that's left is the cough. So, today I returned to the gym. I saw the naked lady from my first visit, she was fully clothed this time. I asked her about swimming laps. I am trying to get up the nerve to go in and swim laps. She mentioned she also does the sauna. Don't think we need to ask if she wears clothes in the sauna. Woo, woo.... Ticee and I are going to see who can lose the most weight before Christmas. I know, not fair to Ticee who is already small, but she suggested it. Anyone want to join in?

Love to all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

me :}